My Home My Way
My Home My Way aims to explore individualised and innovative ways that people with a disability have created their own home, while getting the support they need.
Our first 3-part online workshop starts on 17 September. For more information and to register, go to our events page.
Home is a vital part of our lives.
It not only provides us with security, privacy, comfort and control but it reflects our identity, our adulthood and our deep sense of who we are and how we connect and belong in our neighbourhood. Finding our own home is a rite of passage for all, and for most of us, is still an ongoing journey.
Yet for many people with disability, home is designed by others with little control over the decisions that most people take for granted.
Together with the National Alliance of Capacity Building Organisations (NACBO)* we are working on building a national portal that reviews and draws together resources, stories and learnings of people with disabilities on individualised home and living arrangements. A range of new resources, including videos, podcasts, booklets, tip sheets and guides will be created.
*Resourcing Inclusive Communities (NSW), Belonging Matters (VIC), CRU - Community Resource Unit (QLD), Imagine More (ACT), Valued Lives (WA) and Purple Orange (SA)
We will be holding introductory webinars followed by in-depth workshops - with input from people and families who will share their experiences of what it’s like to live with
- a friend, housemate, or sibling; or
- in their own home surrounded by a strong network
- a host family
At our webinars and workshops, you will:
- Know what a home is and is not, and be able to clearly articulate the difference between alternate models
- Understand that having a home is part of having a good life in neighbourhood and community
- Be inspired and believe that having a home of their own is possible for people with disability
- Explore some of the essential elements that makes one’s home their own
- Consider what it will take for a person to settle into their own home
- Explore a range of housing options as well as formal and informal supports
- Work collaboratively to begin addressing common fears
- Explore ways to renew and safeguard the person’s living arrangement
One on One Support to explore your own home
If you’re thinking of exploring ways to create your own home, and would like to talk through your ideas with someone, or are looking for guidance and resources on how to utilise your NDIS package to develop individualised living options (ILO), reach out to us on 1800 774 764 or (02) 9869 7753.